Follow these 8 tips to see if a used car you are thinking of purchasing has been damaged by water from a flood.
- Get a CARFAX Report, and an Auto Check report – These reports may show if the car has been in an accident, flood, fire or odometer fraud but do not fully trust them as they can sometimes be out dated and inaccurate.
- Take the car to a body shop to have it inspected.
- Ask to see a copy of the title, if possible. Most dealers will not let you see this, but it can’t hurt to ask.
- Use your sense of smell to see if there are any musty or damp odors inside the car.
- Has the upholstery or carpet been replaced? Go throught the car and pull back the carpet in different spots to see if you can see any stains or water lines.
- Look under the car for mud. This is a very difficult area to clean.
- Look under the car for corrosion.
- Open all doors, including the trunk and hood to inspect for mud, dirt or corrosion. Look at the hinges, door frame and little crevices.
- Check all lights, warning lights, electrical components and windows to see if they are working. This does not mean the car has been damaged in a flood, but it, along with other problems can be a concern.
- Take a friend with you and ask if the car has ever been flooded, in an accident, involved in a fire or invloved in odometer fraud. Make sure you ask each question separately and make sure your witness is paying attention!
Our Chicago car dealer fraud and Lemon law attorneys near Evanston and Des Plaines bring individual and class actions suits for defective cars with common design defects and auto dealer fraud and other car dealer scams such as selling rebuilt wrecks as certified used cars or misrepresenting a car as being in good condition when it is rebuilt wreck or had the odometer rolled back. Super Lawyers has selected our DuPage, Kane and Cook County auto-fraud, car dealer fraud and lemon law lawyers as among the top 5% in Illinois. We only collect our fee if we win or settle your case. For a free consultation call our Chicago class action lawyers at our toll free number (833) 306-4933 or contact us on the web by clicking here.